Prong collars are different from other traditional chock collars and dog harnesses. The prong collar is a perfect tool to teach dogs, and it is specially manufactured by using the prong or metal chains.
It is worked on the pinched-in process as it will contract the loose skin of the dog’s neck. Therefore, it is imperative to know how should you place a prong collar on a dog wag properly if you are not a professional.
Prong collars provide negative reinforcement on the dog’s neck so you can change your dog’s behaviour by using them.
Here the thing you need to keep in mind is that you can’t use the prong collar permanently on the dog’s neck. It is not a walking collar, and you can only use it under the supervision of a professional dog trainer to get excellent and effective results.
How Should You Place a Prong Collar on a Dog Wag?
Before putting the prong collar on the dog’s neck, you need to keep in mind some essential things. By keeping in mind all of your needs, we substitute the complete process into the four significant steps mentioned below.
- Buying the Best Prong Collar
- Putting the Prong Collar on Dog
- Use the Prong Collar in Proper Manner
- Ceasing Use of Prong Collar
Purchasing a Best Prong Collar
As you know, a prong collar is not a simple training collar and it is different from other dog collars or harnesses. However, it is a training tool, so you need to buy the best dog prong collar by talking to a professional and certified dog trainer.
All the professional dog trainers have the experience to use a prong collar and also know what is the best prong collar for dog training. Consulting with professional dog trainers is very important because if you can’t use a prong collar properly, it may be painful for your dog.
You can only use the prong collar during training sessions and if you can use it as a simple collar, so it is ineffective for your dog and they feel uncomfortable. Therefore, by consulting a professional dog trainer, you can choose the best prong collar and talk to the trainer about how and when to use the prong collar.
There are many benefits if you are buying a good quality prong collar as it will gently pinch the loose skin around the dog’s neck. It will never puncture the dog’s skin and provides negative reinforcement if the dog is pulling the collar in the condition of misbehaving.
- Perfect Size Collar: You need to buy a prong collar that comes in the right size, and your dog feels comfortable when wearing it. Before buying a prong collar, you need to measure the weight of your dog. If you buy a collar labeled “For 100-120 pounds,” this collar is a perfect 70 pounds dog.
- Buy Metal Chain Prong Collar: You need to keep in mind that always buy a collar that comes with the metal chain. Most dog lovers prefer to buy a prong collar that has rubber-tipped prongs. We especially recommend you to buy a metal chain prong collar because it will smoothly move on the dog’s hair and skin. On the other hand, if you can buy a rubber-tipped prong collar so it will cause pain as rubber can rub against your dog’s hairs and skin.
- Buy Collar from Certified Website: If you are thinking about buying a prong collar, always keep in mind and try to buy it from the certified dog trainer website. When you buy the prong collar from the authority website, so these collars are not uncomfortable and painful for your dog.
In the end, by following all the methods mentioned above, you can buy a perfect and durable prong collar.
Putting the Prong Collar on Dog
When we talk about how should you place a prong collar on a dog wag, you need to keep in mind the proper process. As we also mentioned above, a prong collar is not used as a regular collar, and you can put and remove it daily during training sessions. However, you may face a problem while putting it as you can’t remove enough links to get the correct snug fit.
Therefore, when you can’t remove enough links, the prong collar hangs on the dog’s neck and won’t work in the way it was designed. So before using the prong collar, you need to keep in mind some essential steps mentioned below.
- Correct Way to Put the Prong Collar: The prong collar fits on the dog’s neck when it perfectly sits right under the jawline and behind the dog’s ear. On the other hand, if the prong collar is loose and riding too far on the dog’s wag, you can put the prong collar on the dog’s neck in the wrong manner.
- Sizing the Prong Collar Properly: Most dog owners mistakenly try to place the prong collar on a dog wag by only slipping it over the dog’s head and moving it down. At first glance, you get the prong collar with the links, so it means you can put it on the dog by unhooking the links. Then, all you have to do is simply unsnap the links, put them around the dog’s neck, and snap it back correctly.
By following the two steps mentioned below, you can place the prong collar on the dog wag without any hesitation.
Use the Prong Collar in Proper Manner
A prong collar is only used for training purposes, and you can’t use it during regular walking. The prong collar is not designed for long-term use, and before using it, you need to keep in mind some important steps mentioned below.
- Use Prong Collar for Only an Hour: It is very dangerous to use the prong collar as a primary collar, so you need to put the prong collar only for an hour on the dog’s neck. As you know, dogs learn from the association, and if the dog wears it for the long term, it will cause pain, and your dog learns the negative association. in the end, if the dog wears a prong collar on every walk, so your dog learns to associate peoples and animals in pain.
- Make Sure to Use Short Tugs: Prong collars are only used to correct the aggressive dog’s behaviour thoroughly. Therefore, your dog should never be allowed to tug on a prong dog shock collar freely. You do not want your dog to walk and associate with people and animals in pain, so always use firm and short tugs. Constantly putting pressure on the dog’s neck causes a constant negative sensation, so you need to use short tugs to correct the dog’s behaviour.
- Never Use Prong Collar on Young Puppy: Use of a prong collar on the young puppy is not recommended because they are new to walking and not ready to get the intense level of training collar. The prong collars are specially designed to teach the large and untrained dogs to correct bad behaviour. When your puppy reached the age of 5 to 6 month and have been exhausted from all the training methods so now you can use the prong collars on them.
After following all the steps mentioned above, you can use the prong collar properly, and your dog doesn’t feel frustrated during training sessions.
Hope that you are well aware of how should you place a prong collar on a dog wag that will correct the dog’s bad behaviour by following the step-by-step guide. Also, you are well aware of how to use a prong collar and how you can properly put it on the dog’s neck which makes it an effective and the best prong collar.
In the end, we hope that this guide proves to be helpful and informative for you, and all your concerns about how to use a prong collar will go.
Why are Prong Collars Bad?
The prong collar is only used for training purposes, and most dog lovers and owners consider that the prong collars are harmful. Dog lovers consider prong collars bad because you get to see the fang-shaped metal links on the top of them. In addition, these prongs come with bullet points that will pinch on the dog’s loose neck when pulled, and it may be a cause of pain for your dog.
What is the Practical Purpose of a Prong Collar Wag?
The main and practical purpose of a prong collar on a dog wag is that it provides gentler pressure on the dog’s neck. It is a very effective prong collar for your dog as it will prevent the quick jerk and impact of chock on the dog’s wag. Therefore, if you can use the prong collar on the dog’s neck so your dog feels comfortable and it will not damage the dog’s neck.
Can My Dog Sleep with a Prong Collar?
No! if your dog is not in training and active condition, you can never use the prong collar on a dog’s neck. Because the prong collar comes with metal chains or prongs, and during sleeping, these metal prongs are very dangerous for your dog.
What Can I Use Instead of a Prong Collar?
If you don’t want to use the prong collar or look for an alternative to prong collars, you get the two alternative collars that will satisfy you. First, you can use the flat or rolled collar, and it will work well as a prong collar alternative. Also, the martingale-type collar is the best alternative to a prong collar, and you can use it, especially for dogs with narrow heads.