Weight pulling is a great sport for dogs, but it can be dangerous if they are not properly fitted with the right equipment. By using it, your dog gets some exercise when you are competing against other teams!
If you’re new to the sport of weight pulling with your dog so it is important for you to know that how to make a dog weight pulling harness?
The straightforward answer is that you can make one with the help of a few tools and materials. It is very easy to do this, will take you less than an hour, and for this reason, it is well worth the effort.
What is a Weight Pulling Harness and Why Should You Use One?
A weight pulling harness is a special type of dog gear that can be used for many different purposes. If you’ve ever seen weight pulling competitions, you will know that harnesses are specially designed to help dogs move or drag weights. It works in much the same way as a sledge dog, only it’s slightly easier on the dog because there are no spikes on the harness.
Secondly, the question arises that why you should use a weight-pulling harness instead of the regular type of dog harnesses? Some people just like to go for the regular types of harnesses, but there are several reasons to consider using one.
It would be much more comfortable for your dog because they will not have any pressure on their paws. When you drag a car with a rope, it often rubs the paws of the dog who is pulling the weight. That’s why many people use weight-pulling harnesses to protect their dogs while they are working.
How to Make a Dog Weight Pulling Harness? Step-By-Step Guide
This is not a difficult task. You do not need any special skills or an advanced degree to make one. If you can tie some knots, then you’re good to go!
Tools and Materials that You Need:
This is a list of things that you will need for this project.
- Scissors, so you can cut the webbing and rope
- Nylon webbing, you will use this to sew the harness together
- Two carabiners are used as handles for your dog’s collar or protection from pulling too hard.
- A few feet of climbing rope – this will be the main part of your special harness. You should have at least a foot more, so you can loop it over the handles for better control while pulling.
- Leather needles – The leather needle is used to sew all the materials together.
When you gather all of these materials and tools so now it’s time to make the harness.
You need to cut six pieces of nylon webbing that are about three inches long each. – You’ll need one piece for the top part; it will slide over your dog’s head and attach behind his back. This is where you will attach the carabiner.
Then, take two more pieces of nylon webbing, they will be the sides of your harness. Attach them to each other with a carabiner so you can adjust the length.
Now, take two more pieces of nylon webbing and tie them together at one end. Then attach buckles to both ends of this long piece by using the last piece of nylon webbing that you cut in step 1.
You have made your harness! The next thing that will keep everything together is the climbing rope:
- take two pieces, each about three feet long. Then, attach the webbing you already made to one end of each piece of rope.
- – Slide these loops over the carabiners (that are attached to your harness) so that all ends meet. Tie a knot. You have almost finished!
- – All that’s left for you to do is to attach the carabiners that will go on your dog’s collar. You can use either of them, but they should both be the same (you’ll need two handles for better stopping power).
- – Remember to make sure there are no sharp edges sticking out!
- After you finish this project, it’s time to try it out! You might want to have another person around if you are having trouble with the harness.
Once you follow all the steps mentioned above so finally it’s time to try your new dog weight pulling harness and use it for various purposes.
- You can add lights and also use reflective materials inside the simple and basic harness if you want your dog to be seen in the dark.
- If you are using this for weight-pulling competition, make sure the webbing is wide enough so it won’t dig into your dog’s skin.
- You might want to add extra padding to the area where the harness sits. This will helps you to reduce the strain on your dog.
What are the Benefits of Using a Weight Pulling Harness for Dogs?
There are several benefits to using these training harnesses.
- Most of the time, they have handles that you can grab onto while walking your dog. This will give you more control over him during the walk and also make it easier for you to stop should he pull too hard on his leash.
- Some people use them in competitive weight pulling events. By using this, your dog get some exercise while you compete against other teams!
- You can also use these in training to teach your dog how to walk with a loose leash and stop when needed.
How to Use the Weight Pulling Harness Properly?
When you manufactured the weight pulling harness so it’s time to learn about how to use them properly.
If you want to use this for a weight-pulling competition so the first thing that you should do is practice. You don’t need to train with weights, just find a hill or slope that’s not too steep and walk up and down it with your dog using your harness. You might want to have another person around in case you need help with training.
When you use your harness for the first time, try walking just a few feet and stopping several times to test how it feels. Make sure that there are no sharp edges that could cause discomfort or injury to your dog.
If you are using this for weight-pulling competition so before starting off, make sure that you are not exerting too much force on your dog’s body.
Always keep an eye on the connection points of the harness to make sure they aren’t rubbing or causing discomfort. This is especially true if your dog is still getting used to wearing this thing.
In the end, we hope that after knowing all the detailed guides mentioned above you are well aware of how to make a dog weight pulling harness and you can make a good quality one for your dog. So, if you are having trouble with the harness so, it’s time to get rid of all of your problems by following the methods mentioned above.
What are the materials needed to make a weight-pulling harness for dogs?
You will need two pieces of webbing, which you can find at any pet store or online. You will also need a climbing rope and some carabiners.
How to attach the handle to the dog’s weight pulling harness?
Take one piece of webbing and the carabiner. Place one end of the webbing through the handle & & run it under the dog’s belly.
How to attach the dog weight pulling harness to the dog’s collar?
Take one piece of webbing, and secure it into each carabiner. Attach the carabiners (loops) onto your dog’s collar. Make sure that you leave enough room for your dog to move freely, but not too much space so he can escape.