Can Dogs Die From Swallowing A Scrunchie

Can Dogs Die From Swallowing A Scrunchie – PetDogsLife

Can dogs die from swallowing a scrunchie? Yes, sadly, dogs can die from swallowing this. Swallowing a scrunchie means that it got stuck in your pet’s throat and must be removed quickly to save them from certain death.

If your pet has swallowed a scrunchie that cannot be retrieved immediately, proceed with caution. Call your veterinarian or animal control facility for advice and help.

Can Dogs Die From Swallowing A Scrunchie

Swallowing a scrunchie can cause serious damage like perforation, trauma, haemorrhaging, and even blockage of the oesophagus. 

So, always keep these kinds of things away from your pets. If you are interested in knowing more about this topic, take a look at the article given below.

What Happens When A Dog Eats A Scrunchie?

When your dog eats a scrunchie, it gets stuck in his/her throat. This might lead to choking on the object if the object is big enough and strong enough.

But if it is small there is a high possibility that he/she will simply swallow it. Your pet would then feel uneasy because he/she feels the presence of an object inside him/her and would try to get rid of it by passing it out of his/her body naturally.

Does Scrunchie Choke Dogs?

The main problem you should face when your dog swallows a scrunchie is that it could choke your dog. However, there are some other risks too.

Other than choking your pet could suffer internal injuries such as perforation (the hole made in the stomach lining), trauma (injury to tissues), and haemorrhaging (bleeding) which might prove fatal if not treated immediately.

Is There Any Way To Get Rid Of A Swallowed Object?

There is no way to remove a swallowed object without endoscopic assistance. In most cases, veterinary surgeons use x-rays to locate foreign objects but sometimes they cannot detect the objects inside the gastrointestinal tract.

So, you need to get your pet to a veterinarian who specializes in diagnosing and treating animals.

How Long Does It Take For A Dog To Pass An Unretrievable Swallowable Object?

It depends on how large the object swallowed is and the shape of the object. Most objects will pass through a dog’s body within 24 hours, but larger items may require several days before you notice any changes in your dog’s behaviour.

It also depends on what kind of object was swallowed. Objects that stick to the walls of the digestive system tend to stay longer than those that travel freely through the intestines. And finally, whether the object is hard or soft.

What Do I Have to Check If My Dog Has Swallowed Something?

You would first check your pet’s mouth, nose, and ears. Also, check the rest of his body while checking your dog frequently for signs of pain and discomfort.

After you find all these things, call your vet. They would examine your dog thoroughly and take X-Rays to determine if your dog is suffering from any type of injury.

What To Give A Dog To Help Them Pass An Object?

Giving your dog something to chew can be useful, especially if it comes in the form of bones such as chicken thigh bones. 

Chewing on anything helps clear the gastrointestinal tract by increasing intestinal motility which helps push the object along.

Also, giving them water, ice cubes, or honey with lemon juice would help. These substances act as laxatives so your dog will move more easily through its digestive system.

Can I Make My Dog Vomit If He Has Swallowed A Hair Tie?

Yes, vomiting can be used temporarily to induce your pet to cough up the object. But only use it to help your pet expel the object quickly without causing damage to his gut organs.

YouTube video

Can Dog Die From Swallowing A Scrunchie? Is It Dangerous?

Yes, it is dangerous. Whether the scrunchie is cheap or expensive, it can still harm your pet. You just have to make sure that its size is not too big or too small.

If the hair ties are hard enough, your pet may injure themselves during regurgitation. This includes tearing or lacerations to the throat or oesophagus. They can also cause bleeding in the intestine.

The other problem is that the scrunchie can block the oesophagus thus preventing air from entering your pet’s lungs when he vomits. Thus, creating an emergency situation. So, contact the vet as soon as possible.


In the end, I hope that this article has helped answer your question: “Can a dog die from swallowing a scrunchie?”  So, we should always pay close attention to our dogs after feeding them. And we should also teach them not to eat foreign objects. 

So, if you found my post helpful, then please feel free to share it around and leave your comments below! Hope you enjoyed reading this.


What are the signs that your dog has swallowed something wrongly?

Some of the most common symptoms include excessive drooling (saliva), chewing excessively, lack of appetite, lethargy, diarrhea, stomach cramps, fever, vomiting blood, coughing, breathing problems, seizures, and convulsions.

How long does it usually take for a dog to get better after being poisoned?

Dogs who swallow large amounts of poisonous liquids may take several days before passing the object via their faeces. However, dogs who ingest smaller quantities of toxic substances could recover within hours.

Why does my dog sometimes swallow things like toys, bones, or food items?

It is actually very normal for dogs to accidentally swallow things as puppies. Although, once they grow older, they stop doing it because they know what hurts. But, if they cannot seem to let go of whatever they had ingested, it might lead to severe illness. 

Can you train your puppy not to swallow things wrongfully?

It depends on how old the dog is. Puppies naturally want to explore everything new and keep trying until they find out whether or not an item is safe to eat. Even though it seems cute at first, it is important to stop puppy play right away if they ever try to put a foreign object into their mouth.

Should you remove all remaining toys for safety reasons?

It depends on the type of toy. Some toys may contain sharp materials which could injure your dog if they get stuck inside him. Others tend to break easily.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *