Making your own dog harness is a great way to save money while still being able to have the special touch that you want. You can even make it into a fun bonding experience with your pet by doing it together!
If you’re looking for a way about how to make a dog harness out of rope, so using some ropes is not only a cheap solution, but it’s also very easy. All you need to do is follow these simple steps and in no time at all, you’ll have yourself a brand new homemade dog harness!
Without further ado, here are the steps to make a dog custom harness out of rope:
How to Make Your Own Dog Rope Harness? Step by Step Guide
1: Start with the Main Part of the Harness
Make two loops, and tie them together at the top. The slip knot should be about 4 to 5 inches long.
2: Put the Chest Loop on Your Dog
Take one end of your rope and put it through the loops you just made so that it comes out the other side.
3: Tie the Rope Around Your Pup’s Chest
Tie this end of the rope under your dog’s belly and around his chest, between his front legs. You should make another slipknot around your pup’s shoulders, approximately 4 inches long. With this part of the custom harness done, you should still have one end of your rope left!
4: Finish Off The Collar Part
Take the last bit of rope and put it through to loops you made at the very beginning when you started making the main part of the harness! Then just tie a simple knot to finish off that part of your homemade dog harness. Make sure that all parts are tight enough so that your dog can’t wiggle out of it.
5: Making a Handle for Your Harness
Last but not least, you can easily make a control handle on your homemade harness by taking some rope and tying it to the main part of your harness, somewhere underneath where you tied off the collar part.
You can do whatever size handle loop or knot that feels comfortable for you. Once again, just make sure that all parts are tight enough so that your dog cannot slip out of them!
Now after following all the steps mentioned above you get a brand new homemade dog harness! Since this was such an easy process, there’s no reason not to try making yourself as soon as possible! After following the above-mentioned steps now you are well aware of how to make a dog harness out of rope.
Why Use A DIY Dog Harness? Benefits of Making Your Own
- As you may have been able to tell from the steps above, making a custom-made DIY rope harness out of rope is easy, cheap, and it’s great for those who want to save money. But apart from all that, here are some other benefits of making your own homemade dog harness:
- It’s adjustable! If you want to make it bigger or smaller, you can just change the size of the loops at the beginning. If you need to take the harness off for any reason (i.e. potty breaks), undoing that slipknot collar part is easy and fast.
- It’s customizable! You can even add some embellishments if wanted. Have some leftover beads lying around? Use them to make the handle of your DIY basic dog harness look more festive!
- It’s eco-friendly! If you’ve ever bought a tie-out or other kinds of leash, you know how bad it can be for the environment. Not only do they require resources like petroleum to be created, but their tying methods are also not good for the earth. With a homemade fabric dog harness made out of rope, you’re being much more eco-friendly!
- It’s affordable. Making your own dog an amazing harness is not only easy, but it’s also much cheaper than buying one at the store. Don’t pay for overpriced items when you can make yourself what you’re looking for in far less time and for so much cheaper!
How to Make a Dog Harness Out of Leash?
Even if you don’t have any rope on hand, you can make a DIY dog harness out of a leash. There are many steps by step guides offering detailed instructions on how to do this.
Here is one of them:
- Place your dog between your legs.
- Wrap the leash around your dog’s back and bring it underneath his belly. (It should look like a belt.)
- Tie both ends of the leash by double knotting them together tightly.
- Take some scissors and cut off any excess parts of the leash that may be sticking out of the harness area.
- Wrap your dog’s leash underneath his belly, around the front of his legs, and back under again. This is to make sure that there are no openings in which your pup can escape.
- Take the remaining part of the leash and double knot it tightly to prevent any opening from occurring as well.
- You can style your dog’s leash with some beads in order to make the harness look extra festive!
This step-by-step guide about how to make a dog harness out of a leash is another easy process that you and your pup can do together!
There are many other ways on how to make a dog harness out of rope and soft materials that you already have around the house. All you need to do is find something that will work as a loop and secure it so your dog cannot escape from it.
FAQs About How to Make a Dog Harness Out of Rope
What is the easiest way to make a dog harness?
The easiest way to make a custom dog harness is by using a rope. You can follow my above step-by-step guide on how to do this, and it will be much easier than trying to use other materials that you might not have readily available at home!
What knots should I know for making my own dog harness?
If you’re really into knowing which knots to use, then it’s a good idea to look up “square knot”, the “double half hitch”, and “overhand knot”. These are some of the most common types used in making harnesses for dogs!
Is there a way I can make my dog harness waterproof and sturdy?
If you want to make your dog’s DIY harness more durable, then it’s best if you coat it with some sort of sealant. You can use either polyurethane or varnish for this purpose.