The Maltese are a small dog breed that has long white hair. They are very loyal and beautiful, but they can also be quite noisy. Therefore, it is imperative to know how to stop Maltese from barking.
To solve this problem, you need to provide the Maltese with much love and attention, but you can also use other methods to stop their barking. You also need to learn about the causes of barking in Maltese.
Therefore, here you get the complete guide on how to stop Maltese from barking and the most common reasons for this behavior.
Most Common Reasons for Maltese Excessive Barking
Maltese are known for being very loyal dogs, but they can also have a problem with barking. Here you get the most common reasons why Maltese bark.
- Maltese bark because of their owners. If you don’t pay attention to them or leave them alone for a long time, they will bark because they feel lonely and want your love and affection.
- Maltese often barks when there is someone at the door. They are very protective dogs, so they don’t like it if people come into their territory without being invited.
- Maltese often barks due to boredom. If they don’t have anything to do all day long, their barking can become a problem because of the lack of mental stimulation.
- Another reason for excessive Maltese barking is fear. If they are afraid of something or someone, their annoying barking can become a problem because it will be difficult to stop them from this behavior.
- Also, Maltese bark because of separation anxiety. They are very attached to their owners, so they don’t like it when you leave them alone for a long time.
- Maltese often bark at other dogs, especially if the owner is trying to socialize them with other dogs too early in life. If there are no proper training sessions or methods, then this can become a problem very quickly.
- Maltese often bark because they are trying to take the leadership of your family. If you don’t show them that you are the boss, they will think that it is their role, which can become a big issue if not solved in time.
These are some of the most common reasons for excessive Maltese barking. So, now it is imperative to know how to stop Maltese excessive barking behavior.
How to Stop Maltese from Barking? Ultimate Step-By-Step Guide
Now that you know about the most common reasons for this barking behavior, it is time to learn how to stop Maltese from barking. Here you get an ultimate step-by-step guide on how to solve common barking issues as soon as possible:
Step #1. You need to do your best to make sure that your Maltese feels loved. If you don’t pay enough attention to them, then they will bark because of loneliness. You need to show them love and affection, so this won’t happen. When they know that you meet their emotional needs, the barking problem will disappear very quickly.
Step #2. You need to socialize your dog with other dogs. Maltese often bark at other dogs when they are in a new environment, so it is imperative to socialize them with the neighborhood as soon as possible. This way, you will show your dog that there is nothing to worry about, and their barking will stop very quickly.
Step #3. Take your Maltese for daily walks outside. This way, they will get a lot of daily exercise, and their barking problem won’t be a big issue anymore.
Step #4. Teach your Maltese to sit down on command, this way, you can tell them when to stop barking. When they obey even for one second, then show them lots of love and affection so that the barking habit will stop even faster.
Step #5. When your Maltese starts attension-seeking barking, don’t give them attention because they will think that their bad behavior is correct. Instead, ignore the barking and wait for ten seconds so you can show them love, when they are quiet again. This way, they won’t bark anymore because it doesn’t work.
Step #6. When your Maltese barks at other dogs, don’t give them any attention because they will think that their aggressive behavior is a good choice. Instead of providing lots of love and affection when Maltese dogs barks, ignore the barking so you can show him love, only when he is quiet. This way, your puppy won’t bark anymore because it doesn’t work.
Step #7. When your Maltese barks, give him a sharp sound like the word “no.” If you do this enough times when he is barking at other dogs or whatever else, then he will stop very quickly. This way, you won’t have to use negative punishment, which can be harmful to his soul.
Step #8. When your Maltese barks at other dogs, then give him a short sharp sound like the word “No” or some other that can stop his aggressive barking. If you do these enough times when he is barking about something else, then he will stop very quickly. This way, you won’t have to use negative punishment, which will be harmful to his soul.
So, when you follow all the steps mentioned above, your Maltese will stop constant barking very quickly, and the problem will be solved once for all. On the other hand, this habit can become a big issue down the road, and it will be tough to solve.
The most important thing to remember is that you need to be consistent and do the same things every day so your Maltese knows what he can expect. If he doesn’t know what’s happening, this unwanted behavior will never stop because it is all about consistency. Hope that this guide proves to be helpful to you to know about how to stop Maltese from barking.
Why Does My Maltese Bark At Me When I Am Eating?
Your Maltese wants your attention, and he doesn’t know that you are busy. If this is the case, you need to teach him some patience to understand that this natural behavior is not acceptable.
Why Does My Maltese Bark When I Am Putting My Clothes On?
Maltese want to be with you everywhere, and they think of themselves as a human. So, when he sees that you are getting dressed, then he will bark because he wants your attention. If this is the case, then teach him some patience so it won’t become a big issue down the road.
Why Does My Maltese Bark When I Am On the Phone?
This trritorial behavior can be loneliness or separation anxiety in dogs, so you need to give him some love and affection. You can also try using a dog call so he will hear your voice even when you are on the phone. This way, it won’t be a big issue anymore because nothing bothers Maltese more than separation anxiety.