Chicken wire fence is the best choice especially for dog owners and lovers. Though it’s a great option for your garden but if your dog constantly slips away from your yard, then believe my words, you won’t regret using it to keep your dog protected.
Chicken wire fence is made up of thin, flexible, and galvanized steel wire with hexagonal gaps that keep your dog safe and protect the other animal such as rabbits and cats from the nuisance created by your dog.
If you are concerned about your yard’s visuals and appearance, you don’t have to worry. Chicken wire fence looks aesthetically pleasing and a new look to your backyard, garden, or garage.
Chicken Wire Dog Fence
Maintaining a dog itself is a big job. So instead of getting yourself into tough DIY fence ideas that require proper maintenance, it’s better to install a chicken wire fence. It’s not only maintenance-free, but also it is simple and easy to install.
Stick to this article, we will share how to build a chicken wire fence by following some simple steps. Also, here you get the detailed guide about how you can install it.
Why is Dog Fencing Great with Chicken Wire?
- Ease of installation
- Chicken wire is made up of thin but sturdy wire that promises to lasts longer.
- Fence designing is versatile. You can create lots of unique and interesting fencing designs with it.
- The hole size of the chicken wire is too small. That’s why it is almost impossible for your dog to climb up the fence as he/she can’t keep his feet on the hole.
All the above mention reasons are in strong favor that chicken wire is the best and economical dog fencing option.
How to Install Chicken Wire Fence?
For installing a dog fence of chicken wire, you don’t need to be professional labor. All you have to do is know how to use tools to build a chicken wire fence.
Before starting, first, decide what type of chicken wire fence you want in your backyard. For example, one with a wooden frame that is sturdy and durable, or the other one is with a metal fence that is simple and easy to install.
Using Wood Panels for Installing Chicken Wire Dog Fence:
Wooden fence frames are very useful because it keeps the chicken wire attached to it. Secondly, they are strong and durable enough to bear the weight of your pet when they jump on top of it.
First of all, plan your fence and make a checklist of the following items to have a complete picture of how much material you need.
- Measuring tape
- Rolls of chicken wire for dog fence
- 4 x 4 fence posts- (keep in mind that the fence posts are placed 6-8 feet apart)
- 2 x 4 or 1 x 4 boards
- You can use wood staples it’s up to you
- Posthole digger for digging
- A hammer or electric screwdriver
These are the must-have tools that you will need in installing a wooden chicken wire fence. You can easily find these items in your local hardware shop or any home improvement store.
If you have saw and quickset concrete in your workshop, then it would be an added advantage. Otherwise, It is not that much mandatory.
- Measuring: Using measuring tape, measure the height and length of your dog. This way, you will get an idea about how much fencing you will need.
- Mark the Measurements: Now, mark the measurements on the ground with a line or stakes. Don’t forget to mark for wooden fence post after every 6-8 feet.
- Cutting the Boards: With the help of a saw, cut the 4 x4 fence post into your desired height, keeping the extra two feet in mind for burying the post. Besides this, cut your desired boards (either 2X4 or 1X4) into the length that suits best between each fence post. So here you are, done with cutting the post and board for your fence.
- Digging the Holes: The next step is about digging holes for the post. Using a posthole digger, dig the marked spot about 2-3 feet deep. Place the post inside the dug spot and secure them tightly with the help of dirt. Quickset concrete can also be used for this purpose.
- Stretching the Wire: Unroll and stretch the entire wire along the fence post exterior. Secure it with the help of nails to the bottom, middle, and top of the post. If you have wood stapes, it will make your work easier. Don’t forget to bend the nails horizontally over the wire to avoid chances of injuries.
- Quick Method for Digging Holes: If your furry mate is habitual of soil digging, you can do the trick here. Bury around 6-inch wire down the surface and bend it into L-shaped attached to the surface top. This way, when your dog digs the soil, he will find the wire, and that’s the point where he stops digging further.
- Fix the Boards: Now it’s time to fix boards. Attach them horizontally on the wire and screw them along the fence width.
You are done, and all your concern about how to make a chicken wire dog fence will go.
If you have a premade spare wooden gate with you, you can also install it at a reasonable place in your chicken wire fence. This way, you can easily let your dog move in and out!
Using Metal Stakes for Installing Chicken Wire Fence for Dogs
Metal fence posts are easier and quicker to install as compare to wooden posts. In addition, they last considerably longer than wooden fence posts, and they are versatile too.
To install a chicken wire fence using a metal post, all you have to do is plan your fence and make a checklist of the following items to have an idea about the quantity of material.
You will need:
- Measuring tape
- Rugged chicken wire rolls
- Few metals post, preferably T-posts
- Metal wire
- Post driver
When you keep all the items mentioned above, you need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- These tools and equipment are mandatory for installing a chicken wire fence for the dog using a metal post. You can find these easily at the home improvement store.
- Using measuring tape, measure the height and length of your dog. This way, you will get an idea about how much fencing you will need.
- Now mark the measurements on the ground with a line or stakes. Don’t forget to mark for metal fence post after every 8-10 feet.
- If you want to install a premade gate, then begin with installing it first. Then, choose the place for it and install it there.
- Using post driver, install the metal stakes into the land surface.
- Once all metal posts have been installed, now unroll and stretch the chicken wire along the fence post exterior and secure it with the help of a metal wire.
- Here you are done with your chicken wire fence for the dog using metal stakes.
Hope you are well aware of how to build a chicken wire dog fence you can create amazing dog fences. The chicken wire is one of the cheapest and easiest meshes that will help you to create a safe and sound roaming region for your dog. Chicken wire is readily available at any home improvement store and hardware store. They are available in different opening sizes, so choose the best size to build a chicken wire fence for your dog.
Your dog will love his freedom time in the chicken wire dog fence.